Thursday, November 1, 2012

Week 7- Blessings from Heaven

AY!!Comoandan? (Hows it going)
It has been another great week here in the MTC! Elder Peña and I have continued to work hard and grow closer to Christ! Elder Brandon Fish (B-Fish) came into the MTC a week ago and it is great to see him. He is on the same floor as me in our classroom and we have the same schedule so that means we have gym time together which is a lot of fun! Im also way excited for Churro to be coming in today! He is going to be a great missionary and it will be fun to take some pictures all together! About pictures, they have removed card readers from most the computers so its really difficult to find a computer to send pictures on. My plan is to send home my memory card after my first week in Iowa. I have 2 memory cards so I can pop the other one in and then you can see a bunch of pictures from the MTC and from my first week in the field. I will be off to Iowa in about 2 weeks from today, but I havent gotten my travel plans so I dont know all the logistics yet.
Anywho, lets get to the good stuff! This week we have helped our investigator Dakota overcome his smoking addiction. I think what helped him most was when I talked about my grandpa (thats you PaPa!) and how he had made a new years resolution to stop smoking. PaPa had been smoking for as long as I could remember, but had the will and mind power to stop because he wanted to take better care of himself and show his family love by quitting this deadly addiction. In this Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe Joseph Smith to be a prophet, who is someone whom God reveals his will to for the sake of all his children. Jesus Christ and our Heavenly Father, through Joseph Smith, revealed a code of health for his Children to live by. This is called the Word of Wisdom. This is what many people in the world would recognize as the thing that sets Mormons apart from other people. In the Word of Wisdom, God teaches and instructs that strong drinks (alcohol) is not meant for the belly, but for the washing of bodies. Also, that tobacco is not for the body or belly either, but as an herb for bruises and sicknesses to be used with judgment and skill. It goes on to say that hot drinks (interpreted by our prophets to be non-herbal tea and coffee) is not for the body or belly as well. The Lord then promises that as we avoid these harmful substances and use the crops he has given us wisely we will receive "health in our navel and marrow to our bones" and also that we will be able to "run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint." This is a health code that all should live by so that all can receive these promised blessings. I know that as my grandpa has quit smoking, he has become healthier and physically and mentally more able. Dakota has not smoked now for 3 days and he says that when he thinks about smoking, he has feelings of nausia and disgust. Our bodies know whats best for them. They (our bodies) are a creation from our Father, in his exact image, for us. Let us treat them as the wonderful gift and blessing they are! I love you all and know that this Church is the Church of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Through Joseph Smith, He restored the fulness of his authority, teachings, and ordinance for all of us in these days. We need to strive to be more like Christ everyday, becoming more patient, humble, and loving to ALL around us. We can know how to do this by reading His words in the holy scriptures and also by listening to the words of his Prophets on the Earth today. I promise that as we set time aside to heed these words and counsel, we will feel the love of Christ in our loves and will be able to spread that love by serving and helping those around us! You can hear these messages by going to LDS.org and listening to "General Conference October 2012" talks. Please do so and know that I think of you all often and pray for you daily! I love you all!
Keep on Keepin ON!
-Elder Seth McGinn
--
Elder Seth McGinn
MTC Mailbox #216
IA-DMOIN 1114
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604

No comments:

Post a Comment