Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Week 4- General Conference Galore!

Hola todos!
Well General Conference was absolutely amazing! I enjoyed it so much here in the MTC because I was more spiritually focused than ever before. When President Monson announced the lowering of age to serve missions, the MTC went crazy haha we were all clapping and screaming! What an exciting time to be a missionary! I think my favorite talk in the conference was the talk by Walter Gonzalez on Sunday morning. The Spirit, through his talk, taught me so many new things about how I can study more meaningfully and how I can become more like Christ, which is our ultimate goal. I also love Elder Eyring's in Priesthood about spiritual gifts and also his talk about the pavillion that WE put up that seperates us from God. God is near and He is aware. Also, Elder Holland was very powerful as always and made me reflect on my love and devotion to the Savior. Others I enjoyed were both of Pres Uchtdorfs, Elder Oaks"s, all of Pres Monson's, and Elder Bednar's about conversion. Speaking of him, Elder David A. Bednar came and talked to us last night in the MTC Devotional!!! When he entered the room, my chest was so filled with warmth and joy and we were singing and it was the first time I believe I have ever shed tears of sheer joy. I was just so comforted by the Spirit and absolutely knew that I was where my Heavenly Father wanted me to be. Elder Bednar spoke about conference and mentioned how it is funny to hear people discuss why the ages of missionary service changed when they werent in the council of the Twelve who made the decision. He called it "Apostolic Humor" to hear these people try to assume the reasons for the change. He told us one thing about this change. He said "All that is important to know is that the Lord hastens His work in His time and in His way." Pretty sweet that we get to be the vessels that He hastens His work through. Then, Elder Bednar discussed how important it is to study General Conference once it comes out and showed us the way he studies as an example. He breaks each talk down into 3 parts: the doctrine discussed, the invitation to act, and the promised blessing after that invitation. It was awesome!
So there are many things that go on within missionary work. Many things to remember and many ways to do things. It is very easy to get caught up in certain principles and things and very frustrating for me because I am trying to remember all these methods and things to do. Over this weekend, I was able to take a step back and simply remember what my ultimate goal is: to become like Christ. My motivating scripture for that is Matthew 16:25 which says "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it." Like our beloved Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley's experience on his mission, all I really need to focus on doing is "forget yourself and go to work." It is so wonderful to see that many of the conference talks were based around service to others. I dont like the word service because it seems so impersonal and mechanical. I would like to call it love-in-action, because that is what service is by definition of King Benjamin. We must forget ourselves, love our fellow brothers and sisters around us, and show that love with action. This has reminded to follow the Savior in every way. The first thing I think about when I hear His sacred name, Jesus Christ, I think of selflessness. Not once did He ever do anything for Himself-NEVER. "Nevertheless, not my will, but Thine be done." He gave all glory to His Father and as we learn in a scripture that has changed my relationship with the Savior, He is even sharing His inheritance with us if we follow him faithfully to the end. This scripture is Doctrine and Covenants 93:45-46 which says "Verily, I say unto my servant Joseph Smith, Jun. (insert our name here), or in other words, I will call you friends, for you are my friends, and ye shall have an inhertance with me--I called you servants for the world's sake, and ye are their servants for my sake." We are all His servants, not to him, but to the world for Him. And to Him, we are His FRIENDS! That has drastically changed my relationship with my Savior and has drawn me closer to Him, thus encouraging my actions to be more like His. I love this gospel. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church of Christ that he established in His time of mortality. It has been restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith Jr. and we now have the absolute blessing to live in an unprecedented age with 15 prophets and apostles on the Earth, guiding His sacred work forward. Only 1 man holds and has authority to exercise all priesthood keys, even our beloved Prophet Thomas S. Monson. I hope all of you can study these conference talks over and over again as I will to gain new insights and recieve more personal revelation through the Holy Ghost. I love you all and pray for you daily! "Let Us All Press On"
Elder Seth McGinn

--
Elder Seth McGinn
MTC Mailbox #216
IA-DMOIN 1114
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604

No comments:

Post a Comment