Thursday, February 28, 2013

Don't Worry, Be Happy

Hey familia y amigos!!! Comoandan?
Its been another great week here in Iowa. We have been teaching like crazy and that is the best! We taught a man from Africa, a woman from Mexico, a man from El Salvador, a woman from Guatemala, a family from Colombia, some members from Bolivia! Who'd thought a small town in the heart of Iowa(the heart of the US) would produce something like that? I didnt but I love it and its so sweet to get to know all these different people from very different backgrounds and cultures. And I thought Vegas was a melting pot...haha
This week, I had the sweetest spiritual experience as we watched the Restoration DVD with a man named Alexis from Burundi,Africa. We watched it in French, because that is his best language besides the unique dialect of Swahili in his native country. Afterwords, he told us that he KNEW that Joseph Smith was not a liar or a fake and that the experience he had in the Spring of 1820 was true and really happened! This was awesome, but he expressed how hard it would be to leave his evangelical Church where all of his friends are. We are going to continue to work with him and his family so they can see the blessings that await them as they come to and accept the FULNESS of the gospel, or teachings, of Jesus Christ. Even sweeter than this, was the experience I had while watching the Restoration in French. Besides the trying to interpret what was being said in French with the similar root words it has with Spanish, I had an amazing feeling while watching the story of Joseph Smith. I immediately recognized these feelings of warmth, love, peace and happiness as the power of the Holy Ghost or the Spirit of God :) I then KNEW, like Alexis did, that this experience in the life of a 14 yearold farm boy was true, because by the power of the Holy Ghost, we can KNOW the TRUTH of ALL things. Even though I couldn't understand what exactly was being said in French, as watched and pondered, the universal language of the Spirit told my heart and my mind that what I was seeing and experiencing was real and true. I urge all of you to pay attention to these feelings and thoughts, and look of the Spirit of God in your life so you can discern between things that are true and good, and things that are false, deceiving, and harmful!
Love you all,
Elder McGinn
--
Elder Seth McGinn
IowaDes Moines Mission
8515 Douglas Ave. Ste. 19
Urbandale, IA 50322

No comments:

Post a Comment